Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers*

+5
ninjapizza
aleppiek
Geezaldinho
A_Fan
PilotDrummer
9 posters

Go down

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Empty Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers*

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am

USA 1-nil in OT! Stephanie played the last two minutes of the second OT period, goal was scored by Lloyd in the first OT period in the 96th(?) minute.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Empty Re: Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers*

Post by A_Fan Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 am

It was a great game. The US defense really stepped up. Near the end of regulation ARod had a one on one with the goalie and tried for the chip shot, the goalie was able to grab it. a huge groan went up here at the office. In the overtime the US outplayed Brazil all over the field. The Brazilians ran out of gas.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Empty Re: Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers*

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm

All that needs to be said
Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Steph_10
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Wow geez that was quick... You have a workshop of elves catching screen shots from video feeds? scratch
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Screenshot of the video feed for medal ceremony.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

second best photo of the day

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* 60d49486be46474fa1a2de5ce4b827ba-getty-81972129jd161_olympics_day_

(Riley Rampone - note the tatoo ) Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:42 pm

portlandpilots.com has a neat splash page congratulating Stephanie.

I will be the first to admit I had my doubts about this team, but I am ecstatic to be eating my words today. And it's so good to finally see Stephanie win something big on the national level.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Empty Our Wonderful Stephanie

Post by FANatic Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Great pic, geez. "Our" Stephanie gets a GOLD MEDAL at the 2008 Olympics.

I am so proud of her!!! It almost feels like she's a daughter of mine. What a wonderful moment for a wonderful human being who has, is and will change people's lives with her incredible drive to help others.

An incredible person has just won an incredible event.....maybe there is justice in the world afterall!!!

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Happy-091
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Ninja, let me be next in line at the eat your words banquet. I was an early critic at this olympics and I am so thrilled to say they proved me WRONG.

They have the ability to play nice soccer and certainly did today with a huge defensive effort from Solo and company. Defense today was awesome and allowed the team to remain in position to win it right up until overtime. Also great to hold off the Brazilian's final surge and prevent the dreaded PK's. So cool to see Steph in Julie Foudy's onfield interview her usual soft-spoken composed self. Only her eyes and big smile gave away her jubilation!

Its a proud day for Pilots and USA. cheers
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:27 pm

It's great to see the team come through after losing their star. Not having Wambach could have been a crushing loss and I know many were saying they would be have to play well to win any medal. Well, they pulled together, played great, and surprised a lot of people around the world. I'm so happy for Stephanie. It's a great day to be a Pilot.

(OT: this almost makes up for my disappointment at not being able to close out this chapter of Olympic softball with four straight golds. Japan earned that win, though. I hope the day will come when the US has a chance to bring the title back to the home of softball.)

Is that Sepp handing out the medals?
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:22 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Is that Sepp handing out the medals?

Yup
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:24 pm

I had resigned myself to seeing Brazil win; instead, I was on my feet as if I was at the stadium instead of in my living room. What a vindication of Hope Solo. Bravo for Heather Mitts and Heather O'Reilley in this game and the semis vs. Japan for their non-stop energy. What an exclamation point for women's soccer and the triumph of team play over star players.
Brazil just relearned the truth that soccer can be unfair. The team that outshoots and outdazzles the other won't win if it can't score.
Critically speaking, I question the use of Lauren Cheney over Natasha Kai in regulation time. That's my way of introducing the idea that in the next Olympics the U.S. frontline may feature someone named Enyeart who knows what to do on a breakaway. And I'll take Megan Rapinoe over Lidsay Tarpley at midfield while we're at it.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Women's Gold Medal Match! *Spoilers* Empty interesting tidbit

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:27 pm

The Women's soccer gold medal was the 1000th gold medal the USA has won in Olympic competition.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down