Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season tickets

+2
aleppiek
A_Fan
6 posters

Go down

Season tickets Empty Season tickets

Post by A_Fan Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:55 pm

I heard through the grapevine that season tickets will be handed out on Saturday August 16 which usually means some sort of inter-team scrimmages as well.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Season tickets Empty Re: Season tickets

Post by aleppiek Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks for the tip A_Fan, usually a decent BBQ to go along with it Wink Pulled pork sandwich and Soccer, life is good.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotbmg Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:13 pm

I have it from a good source that this scrimmage will be against SPU.

pilotbmg
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Pilotbmg, that is certainly good news, it sure beats small sided scrimmages against ourselves as we've seen in the past.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 am

I got my notice about picking up season tickets on the 16th. It says there will be men's and women's intrasquad scrimmages.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotbmg Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:58 pm

Hm, well I know there's going to be a scrimmage around that date. The day before perhaps...I'll ask again and see what I come up with.

pilotbmg
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:58 pm

pilotbmg wrote:Hm, well I know there's going to be a scrimmage around that date. The day before perhaps...I'll ask again and see what I come up with.

I'm struggling with the idea that we could scrimmage another school before the start of the season. The NCAA only allows 11 weeks of competition before the tourney, and that starts this year the weekend of the Oregon game. Any scrimmage, practice, game, or exhibition with another school counts. Alumni games, interestingly, don't

There is an exception, but the school has to petition the NCAA in advance, and I'm trying to get an idea what the grounds for the petition would be.

"we wanna have a barbecue" doesn't have the right ring to it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Season tickets Empty Scrimmages

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm

Geezer... this is just off the top of my head, but I think you are indeed allowed to have a scrimmage as long as it is "closed doors" - no tickets sold, no advertising, no keeping score, no team uniforms, etc.

I know this happens in basketball and I know it has happened with the men's team a few years a go in the fall.

Not sure what the NCAA rules on it are, but I'm fairly certain it's pretty common practice to do one or two of these types of games.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Geezer... this is just off the top of my head, but I think you are indeed allowed to have a scrimmage as long as it is "closed doors" - no tickets sold, no advertising, no keeping score, no team uniforms, etc.

I know this happens in basketball and I know it has happened with the men's team a few years a go in the fall.

Not sure what the NCAA rules on it are, but I'm fairly certain it's pretty common practice to do one or two of these types of games.

The rules are different for each sport, but in soccer it seems clear. The section that applies is 17.20 of the D1 manual.

The season starts 11 weeks before the tournament, during which you are allowed 20 contests. Up to 3 can be exhibitions, and added contests can be in/against a foreign country once every four years. (special exceptions for Canada and Mexico). Another exception I see is conference championships, which don't count towards the 20 games. so conferences that have tournaments - ACC, Big12, Big10, etc. can play more games.

and these:

(e) Alumni Game. One soccer contest or date of competition each year against an alumni team of the insti-
tution;

(f) Foreign Team in U.S. One soccer contest or date of competition each year with a foreign opponent in
the United States;
(g) Hawaii or Alaska. Any soccer games played in Hawaii or Alaska, respectively, against an active Division
I member institution located in Hawaii or Alaska, by a member located outside the area in question;
(Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96)
(h) Fundraising Activity. Any soccer activities in which student-athletes from more than one of the institu-
tion’s athletics teams participate with and against alumni and friends of the institution, the purpose of
which is to raise funds for the benefit of an institution’s athletics or other programs, provided the student-
athletes do not miss classes as a result of their participation (see Bylaw 12.5.1.1);
(i) Celebrity Sports Activity. Competition involving a limit of two student-athletes from a member institu-
tion’s soccer team who participate in local celebrity soccer activities conducted for the purpose of raising
funds for charitable organizations, provided:
(1) The student-athletes do not miss classes as a result of the participation;
(2) The involvement of the student-athletes has the approval of the institution’s athletics director; and
(3) The activity takes place within a 30-mile radius of the institution’s main campus.
(j) U.S. National Team. One contest or date of competition played against the U.S. national team as selected
and designated by the appropriate national governing body for soccer (e.g., Under-21 U.S. national
team). (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 9/6/00)

I suppose if the barbecue was considered fundraising, and SPU was a considered friend of the institution, a scrimmage might qualify, but it sounds like a stretch.

The Hawaii trip sounds cool, though.

Just for clarity, here's what the NCAA considers a competition,

17.02.8 Intercollegiate Competition. Intercollegiate competition is considered to have occurred when
a student-athlete in either a two-year or a four-year collegiate institution does any of the following: (Revised:
1/10/95)
(a) Represents the institution in any contest against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is
classified (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition or joint practice session with another institution’s team) or whether
the student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies; (Revised: 1/10/91)
(b) Competes in the uniform of the institution, or, during the academic year, uses any apparel (excluding ap-
parel no longer used by the institution) received from the institution that includes institutional identifica-
tion; or (Revised: 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 1/9/06)
(c) Competes and receives expenses (e.g., transportation, meals, room or entry fees) from the institution for the
competition.

(a) doesn't appear to allow closed scrimmages.

Elsewhere, rules limit participation on any team to only 5 players.(except National teams or Olympic teams.)

UP has 20 games on the schedule, so there doesn't appear to be room for any exhibitions. I will note that the Oregon game is listed as an exhibition in the NSCAA/Adidas scoreboard, but not on either school's schedule. It does, however, count as one of the 20 dates.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:55 pm

I will note that the Oregon game is listed as an exhibition in the NSCAA/Adidas scoreboard, but not on either school's schedule. It does, however, count as one of the 20 dates.

It looks to me like the NSCAA/Adidas scoreboard lists a number of games the weekend of August 22-24 as "exhibition" games that in fact are counting games. For example, it lists Gonzaga's game at Long Beach State as an exhibition, but Gonzaga's website lists the game just like any other.

I noticed, by the way, that Gonzaga is playing only two games against teams outside the West Region -- Colorado and Denver in Colorado's annual tournament. This means that Gonzaga once again will be under-rated by the NCAA's RPI, since the RPI discriminates against West Region teams so that the way to beef up an RPI is to play as many games as possible against non-West Region teams.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:11 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:
I noticed, by the way, that Gonzaga is playing only two games against teams outside the West Region -- Colorado and Denver in Colorado's annual tournament. This means that Gonzaga once again will be under-rated by the NCAA's RPI, since the RPI discriminates against West Region teams so that the way to beef up an RPI is to play as many games as possible against non-West Region teams.

I don't want to sound mean, but I think this decision by Gonzaga has little real impact in their plans for post season play. They are probably making the right choice.

Their best shot is third place, and even then they would surely travel all through the playoffs (probably their second stop would be right here). Also consider that they don't have a stadium that meets NCAA guidelines, and that they are saving travel money.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Season tickets Empty I take it back - sort of....

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:25 pm

It looks like at least part of the new stadium (the grading and field) will be ready for the season, according to the Zag website.

The main granstands will be in a second phase, and no word on when that will be - not this season.

locker rooms and concessions after that.

There will be no lights until the end, (phase 4) which means they probably can't host a first round game, even if they had a high enough RPI.

Stadium page

Here's what it should look like when it's done.

Season tickets Gonz-08-soccer-stadium
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:06 pm

For hosting early round NCAA Tournament games, the NCAA doesn't have stadium requirements (although revenue potential is supposed to be a consideration). If some of you are interested, say so and I'll post all the NCAA's site selection rules for Women's DI Soccer. (I looked at them carefully last year in analyzing whether the NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Committee was violating the rules by automatically sending quarter-final games to the home field of the higher seeded school.) But, I very much doubt Gonzaga would qualify for a home game if it makes the tournament this year. Rather, the RPI is important to whether they get into the tournament at all. In that respect, they lessen their chances by playing all but two non-conference games against West Region teams. I assume the reason for this is that their budget does not contain enough funds for them to travel to other regions/help subsidize other regions' teams traveling to Spokane. (Having enough funds available to allow for non-region games, and thus a higher RPI, is one of the benefits of the Pilots' great attendance!)
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm pretty sure the NCAA does mention fitness of the playing surface, etc. I guess what I was referring to in the first round is that without lights, It may be difficult to schedule two games in one day. To do so would mean an early game, so a school might demand another layover day. It all gets messy.

You are right that a couple points in the RPI might affect whether they get in at all. As I recall as a practical matter your RPI needs to be around 45 to have a chance to get in, doesn't it?

This should probably have it's own thread. Tell us what you found on hosting there. We might as well know what the goals are early.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Season tickets Empty oohh.. maybe there is a way

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 pm

I was just looking back at the list of competition exemptions in 17.20 and read this again. Season tickets Reading
(j) U.S. National Team. One contest or date of competition played against the U.S. national team as selected
and designated by the appropriate national governing body for soccer (e.g., Under-21 U.S. national
team). (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 9/6/00)

Doh! Season tickets Duh44 We played the u23's in the Spring, so that may count as an additional competition date and not one of the 5 Spring competition dates.

I don't know how that plays out, but it might be that they can save one of those spring dates.

the rules aren't real specific about when the 5 spring dates need to be taken.

17.20.5.2 Maximum Limitations—Student-Athlete. An individual student-athlete may participate in
each academic year in not more than 20 soccer contests during the segment in which the NCAA championship
is conducted and five dates of competition in soccer during another segment. This limitation includes those con-
tests in which the student represents the institution in accordance with Bylaw 17.02.8, including competition as
a member of the varsity, junior varsity or freshman team of the institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91)

I have no idea what "another segment" means.

But.. it's a shot.

I wonder if the folks who write the D1 manual have to take courses in obfuscation before they are allowed near the document?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down