Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U23 WNT?

5 posters

Go down

U23 WNT? Empty U23 WNT?

Post by ninjapizza Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 pm

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_6619144.html

That article from the beginning of June mentions a game before the Nordic Cup:

At this camp, U.S. head coach Bill Irwin will make his final selections to choose an 18-player roster that will travel to Sweden for the annual Nordic Cup being held from July 15-21, where this year the U.S. will face Switzerland (July 15), England (July 17) and Norway (July 19). The U-23s will also play a friendly match against Sweden’s U-23s on July 13 before the tournament begins.

Any news as to who made the roster?
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

U23 WNT? Empty Re: U23 WNT?

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:51 pm

ninjapizza wrote:http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_6619144.html

That article from the beginning of June mentions a game before the Nordic Cup:

At this camp, U.S. head coach Bill Irwin will make his final selections to choose an 18-player roster that will travel to Sweden for the annual Nordic Cup being held from July 15-21, where this year the U.S. will face Switzerland (July 15), England (July 17) and Norway (July 19). The U-23s will also play a friendly match against Sweden’s U-23s on July 13 before the tournament begins.

Any news as to who made the roster?

there were two UP players in camp, Cori and Kelsey, along with Val Henderson. the organizing regulations require two keepers on the roster and one as an alternate . Which of the three will sit, I don't know.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Cori and Val are the keepers.

U23 WNT 18 Player Roster Set For 2008 Nordic Cup
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:30 pm

Seems like a logical decision. Val and Cory need every game they can find until the pro league starts up.

Kelsey still has us. Smile

Also, I think it would have been a pretty untenable position for him to pick two Pilot keepers.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:45 am

I agree on that last point, Geezer. I think probably all 3 were deserving, but if I was Bill Irwin, I would have to hesitate before picking two Pilots. (Unless they were far and away better than Val, but I don't think that is the case.)

Unfortunately, it's seems very possible that Kelsey might have been picked if another coach were making the selections. That seems kind of unfair, potentially, and I feel a bit sad for her. But I am also sure that Bill wouldn't have chosen Cori and Val if he didn't think they were worthy.

On another keeper note: (Kelsey and Hailee are probably going to hang me upside down from the goalpost for mentioning this, but I'm used to being humiliated) - I wonder how much playing time Hailee is going to get this year. After Kelsey's world-class performance against UCLA in the Quarters late last year, I would think that she would not only start, but also play a whole lot of minutes. However, lucky for Hailee, if we are as good as we usually are in 2008, she should still get plenty of chances to show her stuff!!! Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

U23 WNT? Empty U23s Win Nordic Cup

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 am

The U23s won the Nordic Cup with wins as follows:

USA 1 Switzerland 0
USA 3 England 0
USA 2 Norway 0
USA 3 Germany 0

Sounds like the defense was pretty good. Henderson was the starting keeper in the first three games, with Cory playing only the last 10 minutes against Norway. I don't know who played keeper for the Germany game.

Congratulations to Bill Irwin!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm

After the punishment that this group delivered to the Pilots last spring, I wouldn't have expected any less. What a well constructed team, firepower EVERYWHERE!
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum