Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome Eric Waterford!!!

4 posters

Go down

Welcome Eric Waterford!!! Empty Welcome Eric Waterford!!!

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:30 am

Looks like we've used our final scholarship on Eric Waterford, a 6'0" point guard who played last season in the same New England prep league as John Hegarty. Looks like assistant coach Mike Wolf's east coast connections have really helped out the Pilots this recruting year!

After making a huge impact for the Modesto Christian Knights as a basketball phenom, 19-year-old Eric gave his dad the best Father's Day gift ever when he secured a full-ride scholarship to the University of Portland to play basketball in the super-competitive West Coast Conference.

Eric took a year after high school to attend the St. Thomas More Prep School in Connecticut where he could continue to grow in more ways that one.

"My objective was to become bigger, faster, and stronger athletically, while growing emotionally, physically, and morally," Waterford said. "Attending Prep School allows one year of post graduate experience without losing any eligibility at the collegiate level the following year."

http://www.mantecabulletin.com/main.asp?SectionID=11&SubSectionID=11&ArticleID=58284

My gut tells me he will be a candidate to redshirt, since Ito and Campbell will both be juniors this year. I like the idea of bringing in our point guard of the future now to work with the team for two years under the tuteledge of Ito and Campbell before taking over the reins his sophomore year.

You can see more about Eric here, at a website he made for his recruiting. A pretty cool highlight video is on there:

http://www.ericwaterford.com/

He's originally from Modesto and played for Modesto Christian along with Reeves Nelson, who is one of hte top prospects for this season and has verballed to UCLA. You have to pay attention, but you can see him in this clip along with Nelson playing against Greg Somogyi's (remember him?) team in HS:

http://www.berm.co.nz/cgi-bin/video/play.cgi?XdqNOkPmzwA

Pretty cool. Welcome Eric!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Welcome Eric Waterford!!! Empty Re: Welcome Eric Waterford!!!

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 am

And here's a pic... sorry it's not the best quality, but I had to cut/paste from a print screen... darn that flash!

Welcome Eric Waterford!!! Waterf10
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Love it!!! Its great having him get an extra year in prep school to develop, and be the understudy to two solid PGs for 2 whole seasons, not to mention follow that up with 3 whole years of eligibility!!! Not to mention the red shirt season can be used to fully adjust to the college academic setting while at the same time integrating with the team..... All in all sounds pretty exciting
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:31 pm

Let's not stick him on the bench for a year just yet. His video's indicate he can shoot. We need a guy like that. Of course, the videos wouldn't show any misses, would they?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Haha indeed... Where is the blooper reel?? I love me some vintage basketball blooper reels...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:16 am

That is a pretty coole website. This kid looks pretty good! Smooth, basketball fluid, looks pretty funamentally sound from what I could tell. I'm not so sure he redshirts this year. This guy can play right now, but he may indeed redshirt just because of who's ahead of him. Rev certainly addressed the depth issues at PG- both short term and long term - with this class.

Thanks for the find Stonehouse.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down