Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!!

+5
goldhelmet
upsailor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
Stonehouse
9 posters

Go down

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Empty John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!!

Post by Stonehouse Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Sketchy source, but I'm 99.9% sure it's true. Scroll 3/4 of the way down to the headline "RI Hawks Class of 2008" and the first line is John Hegarty - Commited to Portland:

http://www.eteamz.com/RIHawks/index.cfm?subsite=238560&CFID=9767199&CFTOKEN=63185798

Hegarty came on an official visit last weekend and apparently liked what he saw and committed.

He is listed at 7'0, 350lb, though I've heard he may even be bigger than that now. A true monster. He originally committed to Rhode Island out of high school in 2006, but ended up doing two years of prep school outside of Boston.

Here is a good recent article that tells a bit about him:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080227/SPORTS/802270364

He's had some issues with his weight and motivation, but also has great test scores and is an excellent student, not to mention his class president.

Here are some other links about him:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/player/139/John-Hegarty.php

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=560111&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f560111.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=evaluation&recruitId=45123

That kind of size is just unreal... think John Bryant as a freshman. If he can shed some weight, he could turn out to be a terrific player... I've heard he's got soft hands around the hoop and good footwork. Plus, he's been playing with and practicing against a consensus lottery pick (John Riek) for two years, which can only have helped his ability to use his skills rather than just his size.

Just think of our post rotation... Kramer, Luke, Robin, Jasonn, and now Hegarty. Wow. That's a lot of size and a lot of fouls... I can see us becoming a very physical, post-oriented team that will be able to pound it into the paint offensively and force other teams to shoot jump shots on the defensive end. And Reveno is the perfect coach for a kid like this... I like how Rev has recruited to his strength of developing post players.

And just think... Jasonn is going to be in Portland all summer working on his game and continuing to improve his conditioning, and I've heard he's already in much better shape now than he was at the end of last season. If Brad Scott (the new strength and conditioning coach) can work with Hegarty the same way he has with Jasonn, this could turn out to be a terrific signing.

So yeah... I'm pretty excited. With some luck, other WCC teams and fans will remember Hegarty the same way we remember Brad Millard and Jamoke Horton! Wink
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Empty Re: John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!!

Post by PilotNut Thu May 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Wow, this guy is BIG!

Sounds like a bit of a risky signing, but if he can get his conditioning up... look out!

He could be the next Ron Reis (or was it "Reese"... from SCU... he was an absolute monster... who went on to a short-lived pro wrestling career!) Wink

If anyone can work with Hegarty, its Rev. I like this recruit! Smile

Last edited by PilotNut on Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Empty which leads me to wonder--

Post by Geezaldinho Thu May 08, 2008 4:32 pm

who's going to be the other recruit to come in...

By my count, this week two slots were freed up.

'I can't wait. It looks t me like Rev has realized he has to make some real progress next year, and with the last couple of gets, he just might.

Things just got interesting....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Empty Re: John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!!

Post by PilotNut Thu May 08, 2008 4:38 pm

I wouldnt be surprised if we sit on the one remaining scholarship... we wont have any more to give next year (no seniors next year), and we have made offers to a couple talented guys in the Class of 2009...

now, if a Tinsley or Sim type player came along, that would be a different story... but I just dont see us not signing anyone in the next recruiting cycle (Class of 2009).

Agreed that things are starting to get interesting...! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri May 09, 2008 11:26 am

According to Rivals, we have four offers out for 2009:

Mike Moser, SF, Grant, Portland
Larry Richards, PG, Roosevelt, Portland
Brandon Smith, PG, De La Salle, Concord CA
Cameron Wilhite, PG, Pueblo South, Pueblo CO

Scout lists two more:

Darius Morris, PG, Windward, Los Angeles
Andrew Brock, PG, Eisenhower, Rialto CA

Looks like a lot of PGs, which makes sense since Ito and Campbell will both be junior next year.

But Mike Moser would be awesome and fill a need at SF too.

A class of Richards and Moser would be AWESOME - I would love to see us get some local kids - but we've only got one to give, and it would seem to me like Moser would be the better get.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Empty Hegarty Pics

Post by PilotNut Fri May 09, 2008 1:19 pm

I found some pics online of Hegarty... yeah, he takes up a lot of space under the hoop.... Shocked (credit to the South Coast Today newspaper website and Rivals.)

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! 423533

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Jh111

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Jh211

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Jh311

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri May 09, 2008 1:27 pm

PilotNut, you are a genius!!! Way to find those pics!

Um...... he's HUGE.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Fri May 09, 2008 8:15 pm

If Hegerty can get off the floor, he's going to shake the CC when he lands !

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat May 10, 2008 10:04 am

Stone -Thanks for the scoop. He's HUGE...

One of the links said he was considering Portland STATE. Are we sure he committed to Portland and not PSU?
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat May 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Yeah, I noticed that too. But, Stonehouse usually has the facts. Good news on TJ Campbell Very Happy , one of the current Pilots played with him recently and said he's the "real" deal. Starting PG in 08-09???

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat May 10, 2008 1:37 pm

The site that noted PSU is incorrect... it is indeed UP that he committed to! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat May 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Sweet... Basketball cheers
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat May 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Mesa- If you haven't seen TJC's tape, it's a must. He sure looks like the "real deal" to me. Basketball No question in my mind he starts over Ito.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sat May 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Re Hegarty, he's committed but when does he sign. There is a date isn't there that the signing period ends ?

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 10, 2008 5:14 pm

This year the late signing period is April 9 to August 1.

Nat'l Letter .org

Check that, that's for most sports. for basketball the last date is May 21.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! Empty Ah Big John !

Post by teapea Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:05 pm

I have known Big John since he was in 7th grade. I will tell you this as a pony leage B-ball coach. He is smart , he understands the game, WILL be a offensive presense in the post. At this level he just needs to get his weight down to run with the race horses.

teapea
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:12 pm

teapea wrote:I have known Big John since he was in 7th grade. I will tell you this as a pony leage B-ball coach. He is smart , he understands the game, WILL be a offensive presense in the post. At this level he just needs to get his weight down to run with the race horses.
Welcome aboard! I hope you'll be with us through Johns career.

What I really want to know is what position he played on the LaCrosse team and how he did in that sport. Smile
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by teapea Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Well ,when he went to prep school Winchington ma, you had to play a sport in the off season once B-ball was over. Position, Hmmm I think Goalie or defense maybe both (not really sure). However in this area you can play B-ball all year round. Big John as we call him, is strictly a B-ball Player. In other words B-ball is his main focus. My guess is he would prefer to play B-ball all year round

teapea
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Some day I'll have to ask him. If he was a goalie I woulda shot low on him Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:10 am

Haha oh I hope Big John is ready to go this year. I mean I understand if they red shirted him or something to help him get in shape and learn the system, but how awesome would it be to see him battle down low with John Bryant of SCU?? It would be like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:42 pm

What about Mechastreisand?

John Hegarty Commits to Portland!!! MechaStreisand

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down