Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K

4 posters

Go down

Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K Empty Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 am

Wow... just wow. Michael Kilburg, who recently set the school record in the 5K indoor and placed sixth at the NCAA Indoor meet, just ran a 28:20.57 in the 10K at Stanford last weekend, which is just absolutely insane. It qualified him for the NCAA meet and just missed qualifying him for the Olympic trials. Yowza! Rob Conner is calling it "the greatest race in Pilot history." There's an article in today's Oregonian about it:

In what is becoming a magical season, Michael Kilburg shattered the University of Portland's 10,000-meter record and his own expectations in a single race Friday night at Stanford.

Kilburg lopped more than 37 seconds off his personal record and 15 seconds off the school record in what UP coach Rob Conner is calling "the greatest race in Pilot history."

The UP senior finished sixth in 28 minutes, 20.57 seconds, which not only is an automatic NCAA meet qualifier but also is barely five seconds off the "A" (or automatic) qualifying standard for the U.S. Olympic Trials.

Kilburg dusted the UP record of 28:35.95, which had been held by teammate John Moore, his freshman roommate. Not only that, he beat Moore, who finished 11th at Stanford in 28:28.52.

"I'm still at a loss for words for how fast I ran," Kilburg said Monday. "It feels like my brain is trying to catch up with my body. I keep looking at the pace of that race, and it's not registering in my head that it's possible for me."

The UP senior has been a depth runner for the Pilots and was so despondent after his junior cross country season that he almost quit. But he hung in, grinding out 100-mile weeks.

The breakthrough came at the end of the 2008 indoor season, when Kilburg qualified for the NCAA 5,000-meter race in a last-chance meet, then placed sixth in the NCAA final.

Now this, with Kilburg keeping company with the likes of professionals Ian Dobson and Stephen Haas through two-mile splits of 9:06, 9:07 and 9:05.

"I thought I was going too fast," Kilburg said. "When I went through 5,000 in 14:14, I thought, 'Wow, that's insanely fast.' It was freaking me out. I decided to stop paying attention to the splits, just race and let the time take care of itself."

Good decision, because Kilburg closed with a 60-second final lap, finishing behind Dobson, the former Klamath Union star, and ahead of Haas. Sean Quigley of La Salle of Philadelphia won in 28:03.72.

"Kilburg and I are both shaking our heads, to be honest," Conner said. "This is so exciting for him to keep attaining the unattainable."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1207623319232020.xml&coll=7
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K Empty Re: Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:34 am

Shocked Congrats to Kilburg... what a year for him! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K Empty Re: Killburg Crushes School Record in 10K

Post by The Angel of Death Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 pm

It also should be noted that the former school record holder John Moore also bettered his time from last year and ran a 28:28. Both guys are running at the Cardinal Invite back in Stanford in a couple weeks shooting for Olympic Trial qualifers.

Just FYI - The Olympic Trials A standard is 28:15 and the Olympic Games A Standard is 27:50.

EDIT: Here's the FLOTRACK interview with Kilburg and Moore after their 10k
http://www.flocasts.org/flotrack/coverage.php?c=234&id=12670
The Angel of Death
The Angel of Death
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Skipper Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Did Mr. Killburg just move track town USA to Portland? His comment about his incredulous mind body confusion during the race is a classic example of how important the mind can be in athletics. Usually it is a mental barrier holding back an athete from his/her full potential. Here is seems like his body just told his mind to forget above his perceived limitations and run. Very interesting

Old Skipper
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down