Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sand volleyball

+2
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

Sand volleyball Empty Sand volleyball

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:40 am

The NCAA announced it's now Beach Vollyball.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Sand volleyball Empty Re: Sand volleyball

Post by PilotNut Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:43 am

Has anyone heard anything about this, specific to UP lately? I think it is a spring sport, but I would assume that a playing/practice facility would need to be established soon... the Beauchamp Center has a lot of fancy amenities, but I don't think a beach is one of them...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:19 pm

PilotNut wrote:Has anyone heard anything about this, specific to UP lately?  I think it is a spring sport, but I would assume that a playing/practice facility would need to be established soon... the Beauchamp Center has a lot of fancy amenities, but I don't think a beach is one of them...
Coach Crouch and the UP Athletic Department would like to make Beach Volleyball an official sport soon, but the biggest hang-up is having a usable facility for practice and matches.  Currently there aren't many options anywhere in the local area, and none on campus. Having a covered or indoor facility for the time of year the team we would be practicing and playing is essential to the sport being adopted at UP.

I've seen a preliminary plan for the River Campus, and it is virtually 100% dedicated to sports of all kinds, so this would seem to be the ideal place to build a beach volleyball facility....but like all things, it would need funding.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:19 pm

The bookstore seems to be optimistic! LINK

Sand volleyball Largei10

These might be collectors items like the mis-printed stamps.... once they realize it should say Beach Volleyball...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Coach Crouch and the UP Athletic Department would like to make Beach Volleyball an official sport soon, but the biggest hang-up is having a usable facility for practice and matches.  Currently there aren't many options anywhere in the local area, and none on campus.
You're telling me the court next to Shipstad won't work? Haha. Good memories of that place.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 am

Well, in a less than overwhelming statement, UP has announced the school will compete in NCAA Beach Volleyball.

Not sure against whom or where UP will compete, but it's "official."

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2015/8/14/VB_0814155036.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:29 am

U of O has a team, maybe they will become the Pilots big rival. At Oregon it is seen as an inexpensive way to add a woman's sport
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:17 pm

"Beach volleyball has grown exponentially in recent years, and as a West Coast university with access to great beaches and players growing up with the sport, it makes perfect sense to add it here in Portland," said Crouch.
I doubt he is talking about Cathedral Park or Kelly Point Park beaches.  Seaside?  Bit of a commute.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:42 pm

up7587 wrote:
"Beach volleyball has grown exponentially in recent years, and as a West Coast university with access to great beaches and players growing up with the sport, it makes perfect sense to add it here in Portland," said Crouch.
I doubt he is talking about Cathedral Park or Kelly Point Park beaches.  Seaside?  Bit of a commute.

Well, there's a nice beach on the river by the airport, and then of course there are the clothing optional venues on Sauvie Island and Rooster a Rock Razz
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:39 pm

It may be raining in Portland,  but it's Springs Break and the Beach Volleyball team is off to California for UP's first ever games in the sand.

I've seen the team practicing in the sand behind the Beauchamp, but I had no idea the team had scheduled games until talking to a UP student in Las Vegas today.

Tuesday they play St. Mary's, Wednesday it's San Jose St. and USF, and Thursday it will be Santa Clara.

I have no idea where they will be playing in Portland,  but on April 2 they play Stanford and Boise St., before taking on Oregon on April 3rd......all three games in Portland.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:16 am

Not surprising that UP lost its first-ever beach volleyball game yesterday in Santa Cruz....but again, as they have no dedicated beach volleyball types on the team, it is a good way of gaining more experience for the fall season volleyballers.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:53 am

The venue for this weekend's Beach Volleyball matches against Boise St, Stanford, and Oregon has been announced....it's Delta Park!

All the info you need is in this article and its attachments.

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/3/31/beach-volleyball-stanford-boise-state-oregon-head-to-portland-to-take-on-the-pilots.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Pilot Volleyball appears to be a team, worth keeping regular tabs on these days. Today, they won their first ever beach volleyball match against the Ducks(!) after falling short in every match last year, their first season as a program.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Make that two wins over the Ducks!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter