Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland Timbers T2

4 posters

Go down

Portland Timbers T2 Empty Portland Timbers T2

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:50 pm

The Portland Timbers T2 to begin USL PRO play at Merlo Field in 2015.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Portland Timbers T2 Empty Re: Portland Timbers T2

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:55 pm

More info here:  http://www.socceramerica.com/article/61015/seattle-and-portland-launch-usl-pro-second-teams.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:50 am

I think this is good news for the UP programs. T2 should bring added attention to the U's programs, and hopefully some investment in facilities. Merlo is a great facility, but it needs some updating to return it to being considered a premier facility--hopefully this is a solution. Anything that brings paying customers to The Bluff is a good thing, IMO. Good for the U, good for the businesses in the neighborhood, etc. I would think this would be a good recruiting tool, as well.

Schedule wise, it looks like the overlap will be in August and September... realistically probably only about a month with UP starting in mid to late August, and USL Pro playoffs running in September.

Unlike the ugly temporary facility that SCU had to endure with the MLS Quakes team, this is a better type of arrangement, IMO. Will they add seats to increase capacity?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Not only seats... WHAT ABOUT THE BEER!?!?!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:21 pm

http://m.fanchants.com/football-songs/portland-timbers-chants/give-beer-a-chance/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:02 pm

From the Oregonian today:
The Portland Timbers' USL team T2 will face the University of Portland in a preseason game on Sunday, March 22 at Merlo Field at 7 p.m.

Tickets start at $5 for general admission, $8 for reserved bench back seats and $10 for reserved stadium chairs. Two dollars of every ticket purchase will go to support Providence's sports screening and health education programs for youth in the community.

Tickets can be purchased through the Pilot box office by calling (503) 943-7525 or online at ticketmaster.com.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:24 am

I noticed in my Timbers season ticket renewal package that all Timbers 2 matches will be played at Providence Park next year, so the Pilots will get Merlo back to themselves.

I would think this is a mixed blessing... the extra revenue was nice, but it is always challenging sharing your space with someone else. I also think it was good to get people on campus and exposed to the U who might not otherwise be... and maybe they will start attending a UP match or 2.

I know there is a commitment to keep ties with the Timbers/Thorns/Timbers 2 organization (as NCAA rules allow), so hopefully that will continue. Watching the Pilots play a match at PP would be cool, too!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down