Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregonian

3 posters

Go down

Oregonian Empty Oregonian

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 am

I see after ignoring UP (and all other college home soccer games this season) in their Events column, the Oregonian is now listing PSU and OSU Women's basketball games. And these are not even real games, but the pre-season exhibition games. Wow.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Oregonian Empty Re: Oregonian

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:38 pm

I don't have a paper handy... do they list TV/radio for those games?

According to the O, that has been the determining factor for including games in listings.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I don't have a paper handy... do they list TV/radio for those games?

According to the O, that has been the determining factor for including games in listings.
There are no  radio or tv listings ( but the games are listed)  this this weekend  for:

Men's BB:
NW Christian v PSU ex.

Women's BB:
Simon Frasier v PSU ex.

Men's BB:
Point Loma at Oregon ex.

Women's BB:
st. martins at Oregon state ex.

Horse Racing:
Portland Meadows

golf:
Charles Schwab cup
HSBC champions

You can, however, see Utah at Arizona women's soccer on the network nobody carries.

So much for the credibility of the O that they are listing broadcast games....

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/Tablet/Oregonian/. ( p.D2)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:49 am

After I posted here yesterday I sent an email to the Oregonian (newsroom@oregonian.com) asking why they were listing college basketball exhibition games and not soccer games. I ended by saying that PSU had won their league and would be hosting their tournament games next week and wondering if the Oregonian would publish game times and locations. Here is the response I got Seth Prince who's title is Sports Manager:

"We don't routinely list UP soccer in the calendar because we don't do so for any other college soccer programs in the area. We try to treat all programs at a given level equitably, and so that's why we've handled it the way we have despite the UP women's successes. We list all the college basketball because there's a broader audience for that across the board.

Hope that helps explain our process."

A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 am

Glad to hear they will treat all the D1 basketball programs in the state equitably, anyway.

But it doesn't explain why Pac12 women's soccer games from out of state ( Utah-Arizona?, really?)  get better coverage than instate teams or than wcc teams that are also on tv. BYU-LMU was on a network with better coverage than the PAC network.

BYUTV reaches more than twice as many households as  the PAC network nationwide and more than that in the state. Some estimates has P12N in 28-30 million homes right now. Which is roughly half the number of homes where BYUtv is available.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Someone still reads the Oregonian?

Back to top Go down