Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head injuries

5 posters

Go down

Head injuries Empty Head injuries

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Just watched a Frontline on CTE in nfl players and am now watching a show on concussion injuries in high school football players. One of the most depressing evenings of tv in a while.

I'd rather watch a year of unedited shark week.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Head injuries Empty Re: Head injuries

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:11 pm

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/brandon-marshall-planning-to-get-fined-thursday-for-a-good-cause/

Meanwhile Brandon Marshall is going to be fined if he wears lime green shoes in support of Mental Health Awareness Week... The level of denial the NFL has toward CTE and mental illness is absolutely repulsive.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm

I bet within 10 years all the pro and college teams will be wearing those padded helmet covers to reduce impacts.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:44 pm

pilotram wrote:I bet within 10 years all the pro and college teams will be wearing those padded helmet covers to reduce impacts.
The weird thing is I wore a helmet with exterior padding in HS in 1966, that's how long the benefits have been known.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:The weird thing is I wore a helmet with exterior padding in HS in  1966, that's how long the benefits have been known.
......and what were you doing at a high school in 1966.....teaching history? Razz

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
pilotram wrote:I bet within 10 years all the pro and college teams will be wearing those padded helmet covers to reduce impacts.
The weird thing is I wore a helmet with exterior padding in HS in  1966, that's how long the benefits have been known.
I don't know, if they have exterior padding, we won't be able to have those fancy Duck style chrome designs.... Style before safety.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:44 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Just watched a Frontline on CTE in nfl players and am now watching a show on concussion injuries in high school football players. One of the most depressing evenings of tv in a while.
I too just watched the program.....and was more angered than depressed.

Ignorance is one thing....and god knows there was plenty of ignorance regarding concussions when I was growing up, but to deny the research that shows that even concussions of a "minor" nature can lead to CTE is criminal, IMO.

For the NFL it's all about the money, not the players.....much like that gladiators of ancient Rome.  But what is most egregious is the NFL boldly stating that concussions have no long term affect on high school and college players, and saying those players, in many cases, can return to the field while concussed.

My best friend in high school was the quarterback of the team…..I remember Jim being knocked unconscious at least five times our senior season, and he almost always returned to the same game after a brief respite.....that was just plain ignorance.....but now our ignorance is in the past....research shows athletes need to be protected.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:26 am

DaTruRochin wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:
The weird thing is I wore a helmet with exterior padding in HS in  1966, that's how long the benefits have been known.
I don't know, if they have exterior padding, we won't be able to have those fancy Duck style chrome designs....  Style before safety.
With Enough money everything is possible.
Head injuries 7aafce5f196976b6c844ef50d05f0ad3
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:23 am

DoubleDipper wrote:For the NFL it's all about the money, not the players.....much like that gladiators of ancient Rome.  But what is most egregious is the NFL boldly stating that concussions have no long term affect on high school and college players, and saying those players, in many cases, can return to the field while concussed.
The part I hate about the NFL attempt is all their attempts to make things "safer" focus on the large, violent singular events, whereas a lot of the concussion problems aren't from that kind of event, but from the smaller collisions that happen on every single play...

Honestly it seems like a player dying on the field is the only thing that will force the league to do anything about it...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 am

At least one player gets it:

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/10/09/exclusive-andrew-luck-signs-on-with-anti-concussion-tech-startup/?hpt=hp_t3

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:34 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
DaTruRochin wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:
I don't know, if they have exterior padding, we won't be able to have those fancy Duck style chrome designs....  Style before safety.
With Enough money everything is possible.
Head injuries 7aafce5f196976b6c844ef50d05f0ad3
In the College GameDay (pregame to the Ducks vs. Huskies massacre last week), one of the commentators actually advocated for removing the face guard from the helmets like in the early days (1950s or 60s?) to deter players from leading with their heads in tackles. Somehow, I think that would give us teethless players to go along with the concussions....
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:08 am

Maybe if they were wearing this face guard they would not try to hit quite so hard.....Razz
Head injuries Oregon10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down