Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Post Season Tournaments

2 posters

Go down

Other Post Season Tournaments Empty Other Post Season Tournaments

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 pm

BYU played Washington tonight in an NIT game in Provo. They won 90-79.

Santa Clara plays in the CBI versus Vermont. They are tied a 60 late in the game.

In a side note, Kentucky lost tonight to Robert Morris, 59-57. Shocked Kyle Wiltjer missed a shot at the buzzer to win it.

Back to top Go down

Other Post Season Tournaments Empty Re: Other Post Season Tournaments

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Santa Clara ended up winning 77-67. So the WCC is off to a good start in post-season play.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

up7587 wrote:Santa Clara ended up winning 77-67. So the WCC is off to a good start in post-season play.
I'm all for it.....raise the bar!

I watched BYU CRUSH UW last night....I think a number of WCC teams could give the Pac-12 a very rough time.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 am

In NIT play, BYU will play Mercer College in Provo on Monday @ 7pm on BYUtv.

In the CBI, Santa Clara's Trasolini, Foster, and Roquemore scored 55 points in SCU's 77-67 win over Vermont at home Wednesday. SCU now travels half way east to play Purdue on Monday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 pm

This from ESPN.com after Robert Morris stunned Kentucky in its NIT opener:
According to the Department of Education’s latest equity in athletics numbers, the Colonials men’s basketball operating expenses are $307,670. Kentucky spent $212,242---- per participant.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm

BYU is still alive in the NIT after blowing out Mercer in Provo this evening 90-71. Tyler Hawes, Brandon Davies, and Matt Carlino combined for 71 points in the win.

Santa Clara went to West Lafayette and downed Purdue in a CBI game this evening, 86-83. Kevin Foster threw down 34 points and handed out 8 assists to lead SCU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Santa Clara (24-11) is not just still alive in the CBI, they are now moving on to the championship games against George Mason (21-14) after beating Wright State tonight, 81-69.

Kevin Foster now has two back-to-back 30+ point games; scoring 33 points tonight after putting down against Purdue a couple of days ago.

The Broncos will face George Mason in the best of three championship series as the Patriots were 62-52 winners vs. Western Michigan tonight (22-13). The location and time of the first game are TBA.

Santa Clara has won 24 games for just the third time in the 106-year school history of basketball; and 24 games for the second time in three years, having won 24 in 2010-11 when the Broncos won the CIT.

I guess all my yelling at Kerry Keating paid off for SCU....after all, UP beat them 3 times last year.... Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

This is BYU’s first season in six years that it’s not in the NCAA Tournament, but they are now heading to the Big Apple for the NIT semi-finals after beating Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS tonight, 79-62.

Tyler Haws scored 25 and Brock Zylstra scored 23 in the win.

I watched the nationally televised game on ESPNU, and it was perhaps the best overall performance of the season for the No. 3 seed Cougars as they stunned No. 1 seed Southern Miss at sold-out Reed Green Coliseum. Southern Miss is now 27-10, but had won 30 straight nonconference home games coming in.

BYU (24-11) will meet Baylor (21-14) on Tuesday in the first semifinal. The Bears walloped the Cougars 79-64 on Dec. 21 in Waco, Texas, but I think BYU is playing at a very high level now.

Iowa meets Maryland in the second semifinal, and the winners will play for the NIT championship on April 4.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Kevin Foster scored 28 and Evan Roquemore 20 as Santa Clara won the first game of the best-of-three CBI Championship 81-73 over George Mason on the Bronco’s home court tonight.

The two teams now head across the country to Fairfax, Virginia for game two on Wednesday night, I think….
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Baylor beat BYU 76-70 tonight and moves into the NIT Final. BYU finishes the season 24-12 after a pretty darn good postseason run.

It was the final game for Brandon Davies, Brock Zylstra, and Craig Cusick, but everything I read indicates BYU moves forward with a great incoming class plus Haws and Carlino.

Interesting stat regarding the length of the bench at BYU; in four NIT games, BYU's non-starters scored a grand total of 11 points. Starters scored 85, 86, 79 and then 68 tonight.

Who’d a thunked it? Santa Clara is now the only WCC team still alive in the post season…..and they’re guaranteed at least two more games if they DON’T win the CBI Championship tomorrow night in Fairfax, VA.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Santa Clara lost to George Mason tonight, 73-66; the teams now return to California for the final game of the best-of-three series to determine the Champion of the CBI on Friday....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:11 am

I guess I was confused last evening when I wrote "the teams now return to California for the final game." The third and deciding game will be played at George Mason on Friday.

But it turns out I was not the only one confused.....apparently the Santa Clara players were having great difficulty last night figuring out where the various lines on the court were, and they kept stepping out of bounds.

It turns out the game was played in the GM Recreation Athletic Complex, a complex similar to what UP plans to build just north of the Chiles Center. It's multipurpose complex, but is the home court for volleyball.....and as you can see from the picture.....it can be very confusing for D-1 basketball team that's not seen the court before.

Other Post Season Tournaments Avojhj11
The RAC only holds 1,500 spectators.....but tomorrow night the teams move to the 10,000 seat Patriot Center on campus…..bigger than the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
Other Post Season Tournaments Patrio10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Why play the game in the smaller venue (with confusing lines) in the first place if they have a 10,000 seater sitting around on campus?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Costs more to staff a big venue.

And maybe it was booked. ( a graduation or HS tournament?)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:29 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Costs more to staff a big venue.

And maybe it was booked. ( a graduation or HS tournament?)
Yup, I was told the Patriot Center was booked for another event over a year in advance.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:15 pm

It was the Northern Virginia Regional College Fair.
One of the largest college fairs in the area that brings in more than 150 college representatives and approximately 2,000 students in the Northern Virginia area.
LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Saw this from Ken Pomeroy (kenpom.com) today:
Kevin Foster is 21 3PA's from the NCAA career record. Let him shoot tonight, Coach Keating.
Wow.....I had no idea.

One game to go in his college career, and he’s in need of 21 3's. I would imagine he’d just as soon play well tonight, get a win, and get a shot at the NBA.

Just think, if he hadn't been drinking and driving a year ago, he would have beaten the record easily…..that’s a tough one.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Santa Clara scored 47 points in the second half, ran their record to an incredible 26-12, and won the CBI (College Basketball Invitational) Championship by beating George Mason 80-77 in the Patriot Center tonight.

Kevin Foster did not make 21 3PA’s (he made 5), but he was named the CBI MVP while breaking the CBI scoring record, and finishing his career at Santa Clara with 431 3’s, tying him for No. 4 all-time in NCAA history. He also finishes with 2,423 career points, second-all-time in the WCC.

Foster scored 24, Evan Roquemore 19, and Marc Trasolini 20. We’ll see Roquemore again next year, but the other two very good players are now off to professional careers somewhere.

Congratulations to SCU……and yes, as much as I hate to say it, Coach Kerry Keating….
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down