Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irrelevant?

4 posters

Go down

Irrelevant? Empty Irrelevant?

Post by Guest Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 pm

World Series? Is anyone watching? I recall it being a big deal, back in the day. I used to sneak a portable radio into school, and run a earpiece wire under the uniform sweater, to listen to the games, which were played during the day. Now, little interest. Is this a NW thing, or is MLB fading as a sport?

Back to top Go down

Irrelevant? Empty Re: Irrelevant?

Post by Guest Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I think a lot of people are still watching, but maybe the teams playing don't draw interest to Portland? I mean, if you live in Detroit or San Francisco or are a fan of either you are definitely watching. The steroid scandals definitely hurts the MLB image though (i.e. Melky Cabrera, SF Giants).

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:32 pm

up7587 wrote:World Series? Is anyone watching? I recall it being a big deal, back in the day. I used to sneak a portable radio into school, and run a earpiece wire under the uniform sweater, to listen to the games, which were played during the day. Now, little interest. Is this a NW thing, or is MLB fading as a sport?
I've watched EVERY playoff and WS game thanks to the magic of the DVR. My two teams are the A's and Giants and any team playing the Yankees, so maybe that's been part of it. There are just so many good individual and team stories (especially the A's) and so many good players and fun personalities, I'm just compelled to watch.

Yes, I too remember the days with the transistor radio listening to the games while in school, but as I went to public school, we were ENCOURAGED to listen to the games as a means of keeping the teachers, who weren't allowed to listen the games, informed. Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Wait, baseball is still happening? (Read: Boston checked out of baseball about mid June.)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:16 pm

It is relevant to the good number of Giants fans in the Portland area. The Giants are the NL team I follow. They have a good rotation but their pitching has just been ridiculous this October and it's been fun to watch.

And when their regular closer with a cool beard went down, they went to another closer with a cool beard.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Yawn Sleep
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 pm

The Giants in 4, baby.

They were good, even exceptional, in winning the last seven games of their postseason.

All is right with the world; it's less than six month until opening day, and we can start it all over again.

Irrelevant? Giants10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum