Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 offers to Idaho kids- Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014

+3
DoubleDipper
NoPoNeighbor
idahopilot
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2 offers to Idaho kids-  Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014 Empty 2 offers to Idaho kids- Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014

Post by idahopilot Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Talked with McKay Cannon's family out of Shelley Idaho and Jared Stutzman's family out of Iona Idaho and both have offers from UP.

Cannon is a very heady shooting point guard who played for Idaho Select out of Boise this summer.

Stutzman is a shooting guard who played for Utah Pump and Run this past summer.

Both hold about 6 offers.

Both families told me that Coach Rev is coming out to visit their schools in the next few weeks.

I believe both players have youtube highlight videos. I believe both kids are going to leave for a 2 year LDS mission sometime near the beginning of their college careers, making them 2 years older and maybe 2 years stronger for the rest of their eligibity.

Both would be great additions to the Pilots Very Happy

idahopilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-09-09

Back to top Go down

2 offers to Idaho kids-  Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014 Empty Re: 2 offers to Idaho kids- Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Cannon won't be able to get a scholarship for the class of 2013 because there is only one available and Wintering has it locked up. So that must mean that he is going on his mission right out of high school. Otherwise Reveno wouldn't be spending time recruiting him.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

2 offers to Idaho kids-  Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014 Empty Re: 2 offers to Idaho kids- Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:37 pm

idahopilot wrote:Talked with McKay Cannon's family out of Shelley Idaho and Jared Stutzman's family out of Iona Idaho and both have offers from UP.

Both hold about 6 offers.

Both families told me that Coach Rev is coming out to visit their schools in the next few weeks.
Hmm, if they each have 6 offers, I'm guessing the majority are from Utah or Idaho schools, and possibly Hawaii. I'm skeptical either will land at UP.

Thanks for the report, idahopilot...welcome to PilotNation. I had a great time sitting in the student section at Boise State last season.......man; Idahoans know how to have fun! Shocked

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Regarding offers to recruits by Rev and the staff, I remind you of Rev's comments about recruits on August 22:
Always fascinated by "offer dance" between coaches and recruits. Offer only means something if school wants your commitment TODAY.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by idahopilot Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 am

I got the 6 offer info for Cannon off his club teams fall website newsletter but this board wont let me paste the link for 7 days as a new member so google Idaho Select Basketball and find their Summer recap and there is a great article on Cannon and his offers.
Looks like Montana and Portland plus some closer to his home schools. No Hawaii.
Stutzmans info also from his AAU website but that is strung out over lots of twitter feeds at Utah Pump and Run so no one specific link, but you will see U of San Fran, Portland, and then some closer to his home schools. No Hawaii though.
I did read in an Idaho sports blog that Stanford, Butler, Colorado, and several California and Arizona Schools have either done on campus visits at his high school or reached out to Stutzman. But arent most Pilot recruits holding multiple offers?

Stutzman is basketball only. Cannon is as good on the football field as he is on the hardcourt but he has decided, according to his parents at least, to go hoops only at the next level. Cannon plays and dribbles lower to the ground than any high school player I have ever seen, making him very difficult to guard at least at the high school level. He is a phenomanal shooter but sees the court even better. At 6'1" its his height that is holding him back from being a higher national recruit. Add 3 inches and its big time, but he has stopped growing at least for the last few years.

Stutzman is a 6'5" guard that is longer than that. Super heady and can shoot playing a positions 1-5 but will probably be a 2 or 3 at the next level. Like Cannon, very heady. And even though it is rural small town Idaho they are not related in anyway.

Does UP have a chance? Stutzman's mom was a collegiate player in hoops and volleyball and she told me after high school in Colorado she wanted to play away from home just to experience the freedom of college and went to New Mexico over local offers. Cannons parents, both of them, did play collegiate sports 5 hours away on the other side of Boise. Cannon is old for his grade and will probably leave on his LDS mission right after high school which means he will start his eligibility in 2015, with a possible redshirt up front to make his first year of playing 2016. Unsure on Stutzman, but these missions do give some flexibility to the colleges that get them because missions dont have to be right at age 19 and they are encouraged but not required.

Again, they are not allowing a youtube link but both have youtube highlights. Google McKay Cannon Shelley = has a great Junior year highlight or Jared Stutzman and see his February 2012 game highlight.

Both were All Region first team from all 5 classifications in both the local papers poll and the region coaches poll out of about 30 schools. Cannon was labeled the best point guard hands down and Stutzman lead the entire 30 schools in scoring with about 21 points per game average as a sophmore. Both started varsity as Freshman.

Again, do the Pilots have a chance? Apparently Coach Rev thinks so enough to spend his limited time and limited NCAA visits to come to their neck of the woods to see them. They live about 20 minutes ago and this year their teams dont play each other as they are in different classifications.

We dont have the population base to get that many D1 basketball players in this rural low population region so when there are a couple that come along it is easy to follow them and find and be able to report information like this to boards like this. Yes, I am promoting a couple local kids but we dont have much else to do around here but watch the potatoes grow.

idahopilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 am

This should get interested folks started
http://idahoselect.org/blog/2012/08/23/2012-summer-recap/

Thanks for the reading material.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for your input, idahopilot! Love reading posts from informed locals such as yourself.

I'm curious as to whether you have previous ties to Pilot athletics or UP in general. If not, which team do you support?

Either way, welcome to PN!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:13 pm

I just saw this from Scout.com regarding Jared Stutzman:
Schools of Interest:

School Interest Level Offer? Visit Date
Hawaii Med Interest No None
Idaho State Med Interest No None
Portland Med Interest Yes None
San Francisco Med Interest Yes None
Southern Utah Med Interest No None
Utah Med Interest Yes None
Utah State Med Interest Yes None
Weber State Med Interest Yes None
It's on the web, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. tongue Jared Stutzman
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 pm

From Talo Steves at Total Blue Sports.com (a BYU sports news site) on February 13:
After the 2011-12 basketball season is put into the record books, Jared Stutzman will have two more years of high school basketball to play. The Bonneville High School wing is rapidly becoming the star that not many on the recruiting scene know about, but soon will.

“I’m a long 6’5” shooting guard,” Stutzman said. “I shoot the ball well enough to play the two and am long enough to play the three. I shoot the long ball well and can take it to the hole.”

(BYU) Coach Rose and his staff are aware of Stutzman’s on-the-court marksmanship and are in the process of recruiting him.

“What I like about Coach Rose and all his assistants is that they are real honest with me,” Stutzman said. “They don’t give me lip service, and you can trust what they say. You also know that BYU will always follow the recruiting rules to the letter. I can’t say that about all the programs that have tried to recruit me.”

Stutzman, who is LDS, has two current offers from the University of Utah and Weber State. He’s hoping that BYU will also be included on the list of schools that have offered.

“BYU is a unique place,” said Stutzman. “It is a culture school and I like their style of play. They like to push the ball and always recruit kids that can run and shoot the ball well. I love to run and I’m a pretty good shooter.”
It's on the web, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. tongue Jared Stutzman

From the same article, in Jared's words:
“I do want to serve a mission,” he said. “I am a September birthday so I can serve right after high school or I can attend a year of college first. It will depend on the school I pick and what their depth charts look like. All the schools recruiting me have been super supportive of me serving a mission and they all leave the decision up to me on when I want to go. I’m leaning on serving first, right out of high school, but I am flexible.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm

From Idaho Select on August 23:
McKay Cannon (Shelley, 2013) has now received offers from Montana, Idaho, Weber, Idaho State, Portland and Southern Utah
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by idahopilot Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Sort of new here so thanks for the welcome. Both Cannon and Stutzman had spent time at BYU camps when they were younger and I happened to see alot of Idaho Falls people at the BYU-Baylor game at BYU last year. heck I think they both brought their entire high school teams along with the majority of the town. BYU has local support due to their religious affiliation but I dont think that will be an issue.

Since July BYU has offered a bunch of players in both their age groups and it looks like Stutzman and Cannon did not make the cut. It appears both were not tall enough for the latest round of offers- BYU offered 4 players in 2014 that were 6'7" and up. BYU was missing posts and they went out and got a bunch.

So I dont think BYU is going to offer either of these players since they dont have any spots left. I bet both Cannon and Stutzman would say positive things about Portland now they have offers and interest... but that is my speculation alone. But I dont see BYU a threat as they seem to be all full.

Last edited by idahopilot on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

idahopilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by idahopilot Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Coach Rev made it to Idaho this past week and had great on campus visits with Cannon and Stutzman. Cannon is visiting Portland this weekend on an official visit. Cannon is ripping it up on the football field- like 5 TD's per game as a receiver. Great hands and speed and smarts. Helps make him a great point guard prospect for the Pilots.

idahopilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Except for the weekends, Rev has been on the road almost non-stop since the recruiting period began, and has traveled to the East, Midwest, and West in his search for suitable recruits.

Nice to hear of the "official" visit.....others that I have heard of are not anticipated until basketball season is underway.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Rev has tweeted at least once about recruiting activity in Portland. Any leads on which local players are on the UP radar? It would be great to keep the local recruiting momentum going (building upon Carr and Ehlers)!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 am

Always a good sign: On campus early this morning and saw Rev and couple of the players walking with two or three recruits ........ don't know their names, but they were heading to the gym.

(To me, the Chiles Center is the "gym" when there are no games in progress. Wink )

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Always a good sign: On campus early this morning and saw Rev and couple of the players walking with two or three recruits ........ don't know their names, but they were heading to the gym.

(To me, the Chiles Center is the "gym" when there are no games in progress. Wink )

I saw Nicholas walking around Merlo with one that night, and the coaches with some parents.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Razz Always love that Rev enjoys teasing the NCAA over its (sometimes stupid) rules. UP always goes to great lengths to avoid a possible rules violation when it comes to recruits (even after they've signed, as we found out), and today Rev Tweated:
Serious eating when the team comes over for BBQ. (NCAA Note: Recruits on official visit not shown but they ate a TON!)

2 offers to Idaho kids-  Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014 Ton_of12
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:37 pm

I presume they are eating bagels and nuts....no peanut butter.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I presume they are eating bagels and nuts....no peanut butter.
Ha ha, yea Rev and I had that discussion, and last I heard Rev had Brad Scott, Director of Athletic Performance, looking into the feasibility of letting the players make their own peanut butter with peanuts supplied by UP.

Stupid rule; might as well make a mockery of it! Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

2 offers to Idaho kids-  Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014 Empty Follow-Up

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 am

In this social networking era, after you've had recruits on campus, you need to follow-up with a Tweet to those recruits. From Rev yesterday:
If about great education, truly being best you can be and competing for WCC championship, we are a perfect fit. Whats important to you?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

2 offers to Idaho kids-  Cannon 2013 and Stutzman 2014 Empty Follow UP

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 am

More advice to recruits from Rev this morning:
Advice to recruits; engage and take control. Whats important to you (not what are we selling), what are your rules (calls, visits, decision)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm

No surprise here, McKay Cannon to gives verbal commitment to Weber State. From the Standard-Examiner:
McKay Cannon won’t be runnin’ and gunnin’ with the Wildcats for awhile, but he is planning on wearing the purple and white.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound guard from Shelley, Idaho, made a verbal commitment to Weber State basketball coach Randy Rahe and his staff recently but will leave on a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before suiting up for the 2015-16 season.

A new LDS Church rule allowing missionaries to leave at age 18 if they have graduated from high school will buy Cannon a few extra weeks to work out with the Wildcats in the summer of 2015.

Cannon, 18, intends to depart for his mission soon after graduating from Shelley High School, where he is currently a senior, instead of waiting to leave when he turns 19 next June.

Cannon had offers from and made official visits to Weber State, Montana, UC Santa Barbara, University of Portland and Southern Utah and also had offers from in-state schools Idaho and nearby Idaho State.

He chose the ‘Cats because of “the tradition they’ve accomplished over the years,” Cannon said. “I think they’re moving forward in the right direction. It’s a good fit for me both on the court and off the court, the person I want to become.”

Cannon said playing close to home and his family was important and he feels like he can fit into Weber State’s system.

“I’m just the kind of guy that wants to do what’s best for the team, if I need to score or get others involved, I’m OK with whatever needs to be done.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Two years is a very long time for someone to change his mind.

I'm not sure what verbal commitment means in that time frame.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 am

From Rev, a few minutes ago:
Exciting recruit on campus with parents and final exhibition game against NAIA National Champions Concordia (Irvine) at 4 pm. Great day.
Always working! pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 am

Looks like Stutzman took his official visit this past weekend. From his twitter:
Jared Stutzman‏@stutzmanjared

Portland was real but it's good to be home #idaho #loveithere

and

Jared Stutzman‏@stutzmanjared

Excited for my official to the university of Portland this weekend!!! #pilots

And from Rev's twitter:
Eric Reveno‏@CoachReveno

Meeting recruit family this am, going http://kenpom.com on them. Offense? Facts. Tempo? Facts. Schedule? Facts. Effectiveness? Facts.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next