Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derrick Rodgers , Point Guard

+4
PilotNut
upsailor
DaTruRochin
wrv
8 posters

Go down

Derrick Rodgers , Point Guard Empty Derrick Rodgers , Point Guard

Post by wrv Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:11 am

This guy apparently recently commited to the Pilots and will begin here next year.He is playing at Citrus CC in Glendora California. It appears that he was 2nd team all league at Los Osos High in 2008. Do not know how many years he will be eligible.

http://www.citruscollege.edu/Athletics/MensBasketball/Pages/DerrickRodgers.aspx

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Derrick Rodgers , Point Guard Empty Re: Derrick Rodgers , Point Guard

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:29 am

Well seeing that he is a Freshman at the JC I would assume 3 years of eligibility...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 am

I think that means he was qualified to enroll D-1 out of high school, but went JC route. Otherwise I believe he would have to finish JC.

Team is 18-2 this year, and Derrick Rodgers has started all 20 games. Averaging about 18 minutes per games. Only scoring 3.3 pts/game. Only taken 4 3-point attempts. Shooting 65% from FT line. 64 assists to 30 turnovers.

Welcome to Derrick.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 pm

I'd assume he's the kind of player that might not be fairly judged "on paper." And the fact that he's 6'1" 195 I'd think he would give us a physical edge that we don't really have in any of our guards, and the 2-1 assist to TO ratio isn't bad either.

A summer of work on the shot is definitely in order though...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Citrus lists 19 on their roster and 14 of them are guards !Its a wonder he ave. 18 min with that arrangment, Anyway he may not make us forgetTJ but 8months to go and no doubt summer school at UP with the new recruits plus vets playing daily he can make some strides if he's got in him and Rev musthave seen something

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:02 pm

upsailor wrote:Rev must have seen something

Bingo!

If Rodgers is the commit that Rev mentioned on his Twitter account, then he must seen something, and probably wasnt the only coach on his trail... I challenge someone to find some video on this guy! Basketball

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 am

PilotNut,

You can go to U-Tube and look up last game for Citrus College on the 1/16/10. It looks like they may have the games online or at at least tape them. I forget his number , but you can find that easy through their online information.

It looks like he is not their "star" player. As far as shooting goes I bet he shoots as well as Ito has over his career,lol and he wont get muscled Very Happy around the court Very Happy like most of our current guards with the exception of TJ oh my .

One final coment about the Gael game, I sure wish someone else would have taken last shot like one of our three "star"sOr maybe the soon to be best shooter in Portland Basketball History Jared Stohl. That last shot was "very forced" and very weak with over 5 seconds left to shoot, maybe more even than that. Wow, one could see it on his face (Man , I shouldn't have taken that one???) and puts up a 25-30ft miserable,contested shot with ton's of time on the clock to lose the game making sure no play is run , no possibility of Robin getting something inside for a 3 pt play, just a panicked , forced shot No No No No No , with time on the clock...Ok, I feel better now, phew silent ............... Oh well onto the Jet and onward and upward to Rip City, I'll be over it by landing...I hope.
I waited a couple of days to measure my coments (poorly like usual). But, after the young men play a good game then it comes down to a forced shot when everybody was playing well. I could understand if one of our better players forced it. I don't think I've been more dissapointed in a shot selection in the last 3 years. Pound the Lions, clip their claws, trim their manes.

Don't forget it is mascot night this week!!!!!!

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:48 am

Couldn't agree more Mesa. 'nuf said? Mad

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Derrick Rodgers , Point Guard Empty Commitment Confirmation

Post by wrv Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Article recites what has already been stated here but goes on to confirm Rodgers commitment here. If statistics matter he appears to be a curious offer-- there most be something to his game to excite Reveno. Hmmn?

http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/ci_14227639

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:56 am

I was trying to learn more about him and found this article.

Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 Santa Monica, CA (Men’s Basketball) -- Freshman Derrick Rodgers grew up in nearby Alta Loma, but judging by the way he played in Santa Monica on Wednesday night that might as well have been his neighborhood. Rodgers put together one of his most complete games of the season, scoring eight points, grabbing five rebounds, dishing out five assists, swiping three steals, and recording a block as he helped key a 77-64 victory over Santa Monica College.

http://www.citruscollege.edu/Athletics/MensBasketball/News/Pages/MrRodgersNeighborhood.aspx

Box Score: http://www.citruscollege.edu/Athletics/MensBasketball/Documents/Statistics/2009-2010/citsmc.htm

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Nice. And he did all that in 18 minutes. I would like to see a little better shooting percentage (went 3 of 9).

Per the box score, all eleven players had 11 or more minutes. That is quite a juggling act by the coach.

With the recent play of Luke and Jared (and Nem), I have been feeling pretty good about next year, except for that worrisome issue of point guard. If Mr. Rodgers Smile can step in that will be a big help.

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm

It should be also noted that Rodgers plays for a ranked team. So, Rev has been looking at the cream of the crop as far as junior colleges go:

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/sports/bc/x113239124/Bearcat-blowout
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down