Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's official

+3
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
A_Fan
7 posters

Go down

It's official Empty It's official

Post by A_Fan Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:21 am

Women’s Soccer Announces 2009 Recruiting Class

PORTLAND, Ore. --- A class of five players have signed National Letters of Intent and will join the University of Portland women’s soccer program next fall, head coach Garrett Smith announced on Tuesday. Three of the five players are native Oregonians, one is from a prominent Bay Area club and the final player has an extensive résumé with U.S. Youth National Teams.

Cloee Colohan (West Point, Utah) is a two-time NSCAA Youth All-American and youth national team veteran; Molly Klier (Folsom, Calif.) won a Club National Championship and continues the Portland pipeline to the Bay Area; Kendall Johnson (Portland, Ore.) was the 2008 Gatorade Oregon Player of the Year; Taylor Brooke (West Linn,Ore.) is a four-time all-state honoree; Elinor Priest (Portland, Ore.) was a four-year all-league player and state-champion sprinter. The three Oregonians all played together in the FC Portland club system.

“We think all of these players will make an impact on the program next year,” Smith said. “To get three local kids is exciting and for all three to be coming out of FC Portland shows the ability of that club to develop talent. We also feel fortunate to again land some high-profile, out-of-state recruits from quality soccer areas.”

Cloee Colohan (West Point, Utah/Syracuse HS/Black Diamond) – A 5-8 central defender with a strong background among USA Youth National Teams, Colohan is one of the top national recruits in the class of 2009. The USA Under-17 Team Captain at the 2008 World Cup, Colohan helped the U.S. to a runner-up finish. She was recently named to U.S. Under-20 Roster for 10 Nations Tournament scheduled for March 6-14 in Spain. Colohan is a two-time NSCAA Youth All-American and has also captained the Black Diamond Club team from 2006-09.

“Coming off of captaining the U-17s at the World Cup, Cloee brings a ton of high-level experience,” Smith said. “She is a hard-nosed and powerful centerback. You will see her personality both on and off the field. She will definitely be the voice of the class.”

Molly Klier (Folsom, Calif./St. Francis HS/San Juan Soccer Club) – A 5-7 left-footed defender, Klier helped St. Francis High School to an undefeated Delta River League season and sectional finals appearance in 2008. She has played the last three years for the San Juan Soccer Club’s Spirits of 91. Klier helped the Spirits to four team titles in 2008: the Cal Cup, Portland Cup, Champions Cup and the Northern California Spring Showcase. The Spirits also advanced to the Surf Cup finals in 2008. In 2006, Klier helped the Casa Boca Juniors 90s to the 2006 U.S. Club National Championship.

“It is nice to continue to have top Bay Area talent on our team,” Smith noted. “Molly is coming from one of the top soccer hotbeds on the West Coast. It is a luxury to have a natural left-footed player in the program, especially one with the pedigree to play the left back position. She gives us good versatility and another asset on the left side.”

Taylor Brooke (West Linn, Ore./West Linn HS/FC Portland) – A speedy 5-3 midfielder, Brooke was a four-time four-time All-State honoree, including first team in 2007 and 2008. She also was All-Three Rivers League First Team all four seasons and an all-league track and softball player. A member of the Oregon ODP Team for three years (2005-07), Brooke has also been a member of FC Portland since 2008, helping her squad to the 2008 state title and regional semifinals along with future UP teammates Johnson and Priest.

“Taylor is offensive-minded with a nose for the goal,” Smith said. “She has an innate ability to get forward and is dynamic on the attack. She will surprise people with her pace and work ethic.”

Kendall Johnson (Portland, Ore./Lincoln HS/FC Portland) – A 5-5 midfielder/forward, Johnson was named the 2008 Gatorade Oregon Player of the Year and has twice been named the state of Oregon 6A Player of the Year. She was also named a First Team All-American by ESPNRISE.com and was a finalist for the Johnny Carpenter Prep Athlete of the Year at the 2008 Oregon Sports Awards. Johnson helped Lincoln High School win back-to-back state championships, including a 17-goal, 11-assist senior campaign. A member of FC Portland since 2001, Johnson helped the club to three state titles, including the 2008 championship along with fellow UP recruits Brooke and Priest.

“Kendall is someone you never want to say no to, because she will prove you wrong,” Smith said. “Her work ethic in both team training and individual workouts is unmatched. She can handle any midfield position or score up top as a forward.”

Elinor Priest (Portland, Ore./St. Mary’s Academy/FC Portland) – An athletic 5-9 forward, Priest was a four-time All-Mount Hood Conference honoree at St. Mary’s Academy. She was named team captain and Most Valuable Player as a senior and led the team in goals as a junior and senior. A three-year sprinter on the track team, she led the 4x100 relay team to the state title and the 4x400 relay squad to a third-place finish. Priest has been a member of FC Portland since 2006 and was named the MVP of the Crimson team in 2006. She helped FC Portland ‘Sapphire’ to the 2008 state title along with fellow signees Brooke and Johnson.

“Elinor has improved by leaps and bounds and surprised everyone with her development over the last few years,” Smith noted. “It is easy to recognize her size and strength, but she is adding the subtleties of some great technical advances and she has proven to be a good goal-scorer at the club level. As an incoming freshman she will be a handful for anyone to deal with.”

The five freshmen will join a team that advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals for the fifth straight season last year and finished with a 20-2-0 record, despite missing three starters in the playoffs due to national team duty. Smith returns a total of 18 players, including nine starters, return to the Pilots in 2009.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

It's official Empty Re: It's official

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 pm

The ties with Portland FC continue to run deep. That started with Clive a long time ago... Very Happy
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:59 pm

athleticjames wrote:The ties with Portland FC continue to run deep. That started with Clive a long time ago... Very Happy

You might be interested in looking at their coaching staff to see just how deep

http://www.fcportland.org/coaches_bio.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Yep, that doesn't surprise me at all. It sounds like a great class.

Rules
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Well we won't have the "we are a little stretched on the bench excuse" this year I really hope the ladies win it all. There I said it.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:24 am

AP: The Pilots have every ingredient of a National Champion. Now they just have to decide how badly they want it.

I truly believe we would have quite possibly won it all last year had we had the Big Three. Yeah, that's speculation. But I believe they really wanted it last year. Just not quite enough talent left on a very depleted team. No excuses - just reality.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:43 am

What a great, well-rounded class the 2009 recruits are. While I knew who the players were - after reading Garrett's release I feel even better.

We know about the great gifts that some of them possess. What I didn't know was that Molly Klier was a naturally left-footed outside back. If she can beat out Megan Sweeney, that would naturally leave an opening for Elli Reed to move permanently to the outside left mid position.

I know some of you like Elli coming out of the back. I do too. But if Molly is solid enough with some pace, that would allow Elli the opportunity to make runs into the middle and dish or shoot. Elli's tenacious offensive/defensive play might best be utilized to terrorize the midfields and defenses of teams for the full 90 minutes all season long.

Personally, I wouldn't want to walk into that hornet's nest, especially with the caliber of her teammates around her!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Auto...I agree! With the addition of the incoming Freshman class..this 2009 team is Monstrous!! I don't want to jinx it all....but if everyone stays healthy during the season...there's no reason this squad can't WIN it all!! OK...there...I said it too!! I 2nd the (big?) secret! Very Happy Exclamation

I don't even want to speculate on a starting lineup this year! I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the run this year! Whatever group of players Garrett puts on the pitch...will be a joy to watch! This will be a Special Season. I predict the same kind of magical tsunami hitting CCSC/Merlo as did the 2005 team....when many fans were hyper-energized and wholeheartedly supported the team!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm excited to see Colohan in action. Klier is a 5'7" left footed defender: excellent. And how good will Kendall J be. It'll be interesting to see. Maybe Elinor P (at 5'9") will be a late bloomer.

Most of them will be able to use the freshman year to settle in and get used to the pace of D1 soccer. With Tsao, Olivier, McCluskie, Reed, Winters, Enyeart, Burk, Chandhoke, Foxhoven, Schmidt, possible for the 10 starting positions anyone who forces one of that group to the bench will be a good player.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:59 pm

With Kassie getting her surgery, it may be earlier rather than later that others will have to step up. I wouldn't write Sweeney off yet, she can still contribute.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down