Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio Play by Play

+3
PurplePrideTrumpet
MesaPilot1
goldhelmet
7 posters

Go down

Radio Play by Play Empty Radio Play by Play

Post by goldhelmet Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I love the fact that we can now get a decent radio signal. I vivdly remember the days when it was, well,.. really bad reception.

For those who listen on the radio, I'd like to know what you think of the play by play guy. He does an ok job of describing the action. But I wish he would get a little more excited at appropriate times during the action. I'd like to know he bleeds a little purple. This is not a case where the play by play announcer needs to be completely unbiased and show no allegiances. You're the play by play guy for the Pilots. Get a little bit excited when we win, and let me feel a little of your pain when we lose. JMHO. Basketball
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Radio Play by Play Empty Re: Radio Play by Play

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 am

Tom can be a little monotone at time's, especially when you hear some of the other announcers from other schools. I like the job he does although he seems to follow the radio broadcast cue's more often. Sometimes watching the video through stretchnet you will hear him and he believe's he's off the air. Actually it's somewhat comical, and I will ask everybody when's the next comercial is because I want to hear his "dead air" comment's. Last game the producer for the game was drilling him with some Rock music at the wrong time and he was trying his best to keep his wit's about him. I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy, and imagine Razz me sitting there enjoying his angst,lol. This last game he almost got passionate during "dead air" time, he started to say "UNBELIEVABLE,Seattle is still in this game". I had to concurr though . If it had been last year I think the Pilot's would have folded,this year during lull's they seem to be able to get back on track to win the game.

I don't think he will ever be a Brent Muskburger (Whom I believe could hype a tittlywink's match). But at least he's not Dicky Vitale, bless Vitale, but occassionally his loud shrilling distracts from the game and he thinks he's what the game's all about. I still watch the one-eyed monster though, it's sure not hard to hear him,lol.

The play by play guy for BYU was the worst, he sounded like John Wayne on Exlaxx. So,in conclusion, I will take Tom and Jason (When he decides to show up) just fine. At least they are not screaming at the top of their lungs the whole game like a couple of idiot's. I have to admit whenever anyone hit's a 3 ptr. for Portland I have started to yell "got it!!!" He has me addicted to that phrase and it's nice that Stohl and Ethan can provide ample oportunities for me to scream along with the broadcast's.

A satisfied listener. Smile

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make it out like he was a bad announer or anything. I guess it's the monotone delivery.. just would like to here a little more passion and know that he's into it. Not unsatisfied here, just would enjoy the boradcast more if he was more enthusiastic at appropriate times during the game.

Again, the new signal comes in great and that has been a long time coming. So overall, the radio broadcast has improved immensely. I remember when I had to go out to my car to try to hear any reception, and it would still fade in and out.

What's Tom's last name? Does he work for 970 AM?
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Is it Tom Hewitt? He has called Viking football/basketball games.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 pm

It is Tom Kolker. (Found under the Quick Facts at the UP web site.) The Flagship station is listed as TBA, so I suspect Mr. Kolker works for the school. The school likely buys the air time, and sells the ad time themselves. Perhaps Mr. Kolker contracts the time and sells the ads. I don't have any knowledge how that stuff works, just guessing.

Tom K. also does the RevReport podcasts.

Tom Hewitt still does PSU sports I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 am

Goldhelmet,

At first I didn't care for Tom one way or the other. Wasn't to jazzed up about Jason his sidekick either. But, the more I listen I enjoy and become used to both. Your right about the signal it's great down here too through the internet and was good in Vegas during the Cal Tourney. I finally broke down and got Direct'TV for the WCC games that are not at the Chile's Center. I will probably turn down the home announcer's and listen to Tom and Jason on internet though. It gets so annoying when other teams pronouce Knutson as Nutson not Ka'Nutson, they sqrew up Ravio, call Jasonn , "Jason" etc,etc.... you would think they would be professional enough to get some type of Pronunciation guide from the Portland SID before they start butching Pilot Players Name's.

Stohl make's a three cheers ! Tom says"Got It" . LOL , I love it.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:11 am

Ha ha... I agree with you, Mesa. I love the "Got it!!!" too.

I think Tom does a fine job. He's doesn't get overly enthusiastic, but at least he keeps up with the flow of the game better than Ron Callan did. Darrell Aune was probably the best we've had, but I think Tom does just fine.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:15 am

Nothing better than Aune's "holy jumping up and down Martha"
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:54 pm

Aune may be the best college basketball radio play by play guy I've ever heard. I listened to him a lot back when OSU was a national power in the 80's - Blume, Radford, Johnson, Stoutt, and then Conner, Sitton, Payton, etc.

Another one of my favorites was "he BURIES it..."
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Aune still does football and basketball play-by-play for Linfield College in McMinnville - and he still does an incredible job.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2018 5:53 pm

1080 the Fan just picked up Oregon football and basketball, and baseball will be on their sister station 910 the Fan. Wonder how this will affect the Pilots broadcasts.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu May 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Hasn't UP basketball been on 910? Potential conflict with early-season UO baseball games?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2018 10:55 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Hasn't UP basketball been on 910? Potential conflict with early-season UO baseball games?

Yes, that's why I brought it up. I don't know if they would broadcast two different schools on the same Entercom network family. And our play-by-play guy Jason Swygard is an Entercom employee, not an independent broadcaster buying the time and selling the ads. I like Jason, and it gets us some mention on their talk shows, that we never get otherwise.

I misstated earlier, it is 910 ESPN, not 910 the Fan.

Back to top Go down