Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09.

+5
navigator
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
9 posters

Go down

Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09. Empty Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09.

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:59 pm

You've got to love how both of the Portland vs. Gonzaga games are televised this year on FSN and ESPN2. That really jumped out at me when I saw the schedule. With Gonzaga really fading and a player like Heyfvelt not really playing to his strengths, we've got a good shot at getting the first one...a great shot.

Basketball
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09. Empty Re: Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09.

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm going to be missing the game due to a company party. Beating a Dead Horse
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09. Empty Re: Portland vs. Gonzaga--One week from today...1/10/09.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 pm

As was recently pointed out to me on another thread: DVR! Man's best friend. Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:59 pm

Apparently the new spelling of pilots is Piolots?? Gametracker is so high tech...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 pm

I dont know, what's worse, the spelling of "Piolots" or FSN's (lack of) coverage... just plain terrible. Cutting away from the last 1:30 to go to the Wazzu pre-game show? The WSU game didnt start for several minutes... no need to cut away that soon. No

I am glad we have Comcast Sports Net instead for several of our games...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:08 pm

DVR wouldn't have worked so well, either. UW-Cal goes triple overtime and wipes out the broadcast of the first half. And FSN treats this as a Gonzaga broadcast, as if there would be no Pilots fans watching. Oh well, in their Seattle bubble that may be close to true.

And UW blows the game, hurting our RPI!

Finally, poor shooting dooms the Pilots, and GU wins 67-50. Too many mistakes to overcome cold shooting.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Cold shooting indeed... we were blowing point-blank (although contested) lay-ins. Other than not finishing, and for being in serious foul trouble, I thought we played pretty well.

This opinion, however, is from the 18.5 minutes of the game we were able to see. Beating a Dead Horse

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 pm

PilotNut wrote:I dont know, what's worse, the spelling of "Piolots" or FSN's (lack of) coverage... just plain terrible. Cutting away from the last 1:30 to go to the Wazzu pre-game show? The WSU game didnt start for several minutes... no need to cut away that soon. No

I am glad we have Comcast Sports Net instead for several of our games...
They didWHAT?

Rolling Eyes Now I'm glad the Blazers are off of Fox Seattle Network. Apparently for them the Northwest ends at about Olympia...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Haha I'm sure the Zag fans were really appreciative as well.... And they just re-upped with FSN too!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:09 am

PilotNut wrote:Cold shooting indeed... we were blowing point-blank (although contested) lay-ins. Other than not finishing, and for being in serious foul trouble, I thought we played pretty well.

This opinion, however, is from the 18.5 minutes of the game we were able to see. Beating a Dead Horse

I don't think they played well. Shot selection at times was terrible. I don't know if its the team policy to have TJ bring the ball up all the time, but many fast breaks were past up as the big guys are looking for TJ and he has to come back to the ball. They are so slow to get the ball and get going after a basket is made.

Big guys have to show patience and work the ball if they don't have anything. Kick it back out, make the defense work. They made it way to easy with some poor shots.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 am

Anybody give me a quick recap? I had to go to the dial-up on my cheapee phone service for final score and stats. Looks like we got the typical a@@ whipping in the kERNAL. WHAT HAPPENED, stat's don't look to bad. The Pilots were not getting the ball in quick enough after made baskets by the other team? Geez, I thought we were over that last year? I hope this doesn't remain a PERPETUAL problem area!!!

Were turnover's a factor? What did Kramer look like after layoff and having to play quality opponent? Where was Robin's offense? Did TJ get off ANY three pt shot's? etc...... Was Nik AWOL or having to try to carry the team himself, Sikma--rebounds........

Oh, I love modern technology, one sure get's addicted to it. I get grumpy Crying or Very sad when I can't see, watch live stats,or listen to the Pilot's . Not next game, hopefully Direct-TV has some solutions. Although after reading your post's I'm not to sure.

Maybe if all else fails, the chat room may be my option with Direct-TV next game. What do you guys think? (That's if my internet connection is repaired by then Evil or Very Mad

Was Hegarty on end of bench in Street Clothes, or did Rev leave him at home to study/work out? Any new's on his status, anybody?

MesaPilot1

@athleticjames was the game really on ESPN2?? UGGH,I feel dumb now.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14 am

Right now I am in Colorado and I had the game on FSN. I think it was tape delayed, it started at 9:30 local time. I went out to watch a friend play music, so I used my best friend, the DVR. I actually watched the first 13 minutes at the bar, then the signal went out, so I finished the rest of the game this morning. Some of the things I noticed were that the Pilots sometimes have trouble creating good shots, then just kind of force something. Also, in the first half we were in the bonus in less than 10 minutes, second half, I don't even know if Gonzaga committed 7 fouls. The Pilots missed a lot of close range buckets as someone else pointed out earlier.
Tough game to start the conference with, we just don't match up real well with the Zags. I guess they just have to go on a 13 game winning streak...
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:17 pm

"@athleticjames was the game really on ESPN2?? UGGH,I feel dumb now."--MesaPilot1.

No, the first game of the year was on FSN; the next time we play them it's on ESPN2 according to portlandpilots.com on the schedule details. Sorry, if I worded that deceptively in my post above. The game on ESPN2 is on 2/5/09: http://www.portlandpilots.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Here's a recap in the Seattle PI:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/395610_zags11.html

Plain and simple...we need more players to score in double figures if we are going to have a chance to beat Gonzaga. I think we'll do far better at home...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm not an RPI expert, but since we played both teams, I don't think our RPI will be adversely (or positively) affected. Could be off base, though. Any experts know for sure?
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:

I'm not an RPI expert, but since we played both teams, I don't think our RPI will be adversely (or positively) affected. Could be off base, though. Any experts know for sure?

UC Berkley's RPI was higher than Washington's going into that game as far as I know. If we take care of business in the WCC, we'll be fine.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm

UP's RPI was 114 going into the Gonzaga game and is now 127. It was 122 immediately after the game. our real concern isn't the RPI at this point. It's making a decent showing in the conference, and I still think we can do something.

Gonzaga moved up one spot to #16
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down